Friday, February 26, 2010

Formal Fridays

I'm back mothersucka!!! With Black History month coming to a close, I notice I did not post anything pertaining to the subject. Appalling I know, I guess you get lost when you are trying so hard to make your own history you forget who made that possible. But in regards to that during one of my recent runs web-surfing I came across another cool slideshow on GQ's website; The Birth of Cool: 20 Black Style Pioneers. I felt empowered when I recognized most of them and the guys from Street Etiquette brought a lot of things to light. As usual I picked the five i liked the most and the gentlemen I can relate to, sometimes I feel like being black is the definition of cool....


Miles Davis
One of the coolest cats to live he was confident and carried himself that way.


Sammy Davis Jr.
Our representation in the Rat Pack and did his best to step out of the box and just be in the group. GQ points out his style is one of those referenced in many of today.


Richard Pryor
Never failed in being dressed up as much as he didn't into turning storytelling an avenue in comedy. Pryor just like in his comedy wore things a little outside outside the box that was aligned with his personality


Huey P. Newton
Founder of the Black Panther party who felt it was necessary to make a statement in all they did, with the all black very stylish wardrobe.( I just learned the leather jacket over a white button down shirt was a statement in its own)


Sidney Poitier
Crisp dude, everything he did was crisp when Black people were not getting credibility; his acting made people take him seriously and so did his choice of clothing and sharp sense of style.

This just reminds me to continue thinking outside the box and standing and being your own person. These guys did it in a society where their efforts went above and beyond what was expected of them; style is a way to create the aura and confidence we all strive for but it should always represent you.....

FEEL SHARP AND BE SHARP






No comments:

Post a Comment